Samar S. Jodha’s work over the past twenty years has been seen in galleries and museums in India as well as in Barcelona, Boston, Frankfurt, London, New York, Queensland and Washington. He is an artist who has often used photography and film to focus on marginalized issues and communities. His eight-year long project on ageing in India remains the single biggest social communication project in terms of outputs and outreach as listed by Limca Book of Indian Records. Extract of it were showcased at Whitechapel Gallery (London) and Fotomuseum (Zurich) in 2010.
Jodha has been using his art for advocacy for nearly twenty years, addressing various issues like development, human rights and conservation.
His five-year work on the making of world’s tallest habitat was featured on Discovery, National Geographic as well as exhibited at New York’s Skyscraper Museum. His project about television has been showcased worldwide and described by The New York Times as “A beautiful series of photographs (that) documents the now-pervasive presence of television in Indian life.”
Phaneng – his award winning portraiture project about the disappearing Tai Phake tribe in India’s northeast was seen at Religare Art, New Delhi in 2008 and Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. in 2010. He continues to work closely with this endangered community.
Parallel to his art projects and editorial work, Samar has worked with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, BBC World Service Trust and the United Nations. Samar is a regular speaker on TEDx.
- Minneapolis Institute of Art,
- MN IVAM Museum Valencia, Spain
- Arts.i Religare New Delhi
- NCPA, Mumbai
- Newark Museum, Newark, NJ
- Skyscraper Museum, New York
- Bose Pacia Gallery, New York
- Nehru Centre, London
- Whitechapel Gallery, London
- Fotomuseum Winterhur, Zurich
- Fotografie Forum International, Frankfurt
- Die Kommunale Galerie, Frankfurt
- New Zealand International Art Festival
- Bundaberg Arts Centre, Queensland
- Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington DC
- Nueva Luz, Volume 13#1
- Ageless Mind and Spirit
- Phaneng: A Journey into Personal Engagement
- Jaipur: The Last Destination
- MEDIA LINK: http://www.enfoco.org/index.php/photographers/photographer/jodha_samar/
- BLOG LINK: http://www.artconcerns.net/2008december/html/review1_SamarJodha.htm
- TED TALK LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2AP2Sr1wo
- AWARD LINK: http://www.photolucida.org/cm_winners.php?aID=1551&CMYear=2009&event_id=10 F
- ACEBOOK LINK: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30297569422&v=wall&ref=search
- PHANENG VILLAGE LIFE LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mhMX0fW7k